Thursday 23 October 2014

So what does a voiceover person actually do?


So what does a voiceover person like myself do? I get asked this question quit often, usually accompanies with a bemused face. Well technology has come a long way over the past 5 to 10 years, so there is not much that a voice artist can do with his voice. The audiobook industry is booming so that one area covered.

Then there are a few more options like these:  Computer and Console Games, Websites, Cd-Roms, Interactive DVD's, iPad, iPhone and Android Apps, E-learning courses, Podcasts, Interactive children's storybooks, meditation CD's, toys with embedded sound chips that speak, museum and exhibition guides, pre-recorded announcements on transport, public information services, in-store commercials, theatre shows that require pre-recorded voice, infomercials, shopping centre announcements, film dubbings for foreign film, Answer phone messages, interactive on-hold messages (I’ve done that too), corporate presentations, promotional updates for websites, YouTube videos and external pitches to clients, to name a few. .... The list goes on.

Keep your ears open and listen to all the voices you hear, including your sat nav and smart phone.

Here is me in my studio narrating a poem for my latest audiobook Silence and Darkness




1 comment:

  1. Now my friend Drew ... all the above will keep you very busy and will keep a lot of people happy too. I enjoyed listening to your narration of the wonderful poem. I wish you many wonderful opportunities in the field and the very best to you always. Maricet

    ReplyDelete